Friday 30 October 2009

End of October reading panic!

I have had a sudden burst of reading! Admittedly, nothing heavy, challenging or thought provoking really, but I have found the energy to pick up my books and read.

Three books I have read have been about Take That- Take One and Take Two (they are mainly photos, but with commentary on the pictures by the band) and Mad about the Boys by Claire Blake-a woman who wins the lottery and spends the money following Gary Barlow-yes, really!

Then last night I picked up something that did affect me- Mother of the Bride by Ilene Beckerman. I don't know where I first heard about this book, but it had been in my little 'penguin books' wishlist journal for a long while. I got hold of it from a book mooch, and it just called out to me yesterday from the shelf. It really touched me-it is a book not so much about being Mother of the Bride as it is about being a Mother. Ilene seems to be on my wavelength, talking about how as parents we are always anticipating our children's next steps and then BOOM- they are all grown up. Yes, I am an emotional person anyway, but the way this lady writes about motherhood just really touched my heart. One part, near the end, really made me think. Paraphrased, it went along the lines of ' When my daughter was writing her wedding thank you cards, I thought of how she was the best gift I ever had. I never wrote to say thank you'. My little boy is my absolute world, and I am so thankful for him that it is untrue. I don't want him to grow up!

I have also caved today and bought two books off amazon-both in the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. I think i should get shares in Kleenex....

No comments:

Post a Comment