Thursday 6 August 2009

The Old Man and the Sea- Ernest Hemingway

I finished this yesterday and, I hate to say it, I was really quite underwhelmed. It had been hyped up so much, and it was recommended to me, and the fact it was only 98 pages made me think that it was worth a go, but sadly, it wasn't what I expected.

It should have been called 'The Old Man and the Fish', as that was what it was about. I might be a bit naive, but I thought it would be less about the act of killing the fish, and more about how he dealt with life on the sea. Admittedly, there was some of that (and those bits I didn't mind, and the bits focussing on his relationship with 'the boy'), but for me it was too much about fishing, teh brutality of fishing etc.

Sometimes when I am reading, I wonder if I am seriously missing something, and I wondered about that reading this.

Anyway, I am glad I tried it as we went to Hemingway's birthplace in Oak Park in Chicago a few years back and I had vowed to read some of his work. So at least I did what I said I would!

No comments:

Post a Comment